Your Recovery Responsibilities While on LTD
If you’re receiving LTD benefits in Ontario, you want to do everything you can to make sure you continue getting those payments. In a previous post, we looked at five reasons that insurers cut off benefits; in today’s, we’re looking at one of the most important responsibilities you have when you are a recipient of insurance benefits.
While you’re receiving LTD benefits, one of your key responsibilities is to actively participate in your own recovery. What exactly does that mean?
It means that you need to try your best to recover from your disability so that you can return to work. Remember: LTD is an income replacement benefit, so the insurer wants you to get back to work as soon as possible.
In terms of your recovery, the insurer expect you to:
- Follow your treatment plan per your doctor’s orders
- Attend your scheduled medical appointments
- Undergo independent medical examinations as requested
- Agree to treatments or rehab programs that the insurer wants you to undergo
- Work with experts like vocational rehabilitation specialists or mental health professionals as requested
In addition to your responsibility to try your best to recover, you have other responsibilities while on LTD, and we will cover those in upcoming posts.
As always, every policy is a little different, so these are general rules for what’s required of you. Always consult your own policy and don’t hesitate to ask for legal advice if you need it.