Spotlight on SABS: Lost Educational Expenses

This is the latest in our series on what benefits you’re entitled to through no-fault auto insurance if you’re injured in a car accident in Ontario.

What happens if you are a student at the time of your accident, and your injuries make it impossible to continue your program? Under section 21 of the Statutory Accident Benefits Schedule (also known as SABS), you can recover lost educational expenses.

What are Lost Educational Expenses?

If you were enrolled in school and paid education-related expenses prior to the accident, you can claim up to $15,000 of lost expenses if you’re unable to continue the program.

That program could be:

  • Elementary schooling
  • Secondary schooling
  • Post-secondary
  • Continuing education

Expenses include the following, in respect of the program term or program year that you were enrolled in at the time of the accident:

  • Tuition
  • Books
  • Equipment
  • Room and board (housing)

To be eligible to receive lost educational expenses, your doctor will need to complete a disability certificate to submit to the the insurer that shows you are unable to continue your studies.


This article is part of our series on Ontario no-fault auto insurance benefits. Previous posts cover: